Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Spanish Tapas: Red Onion and Orange Salad

 

I am dying to go to Spain! Two of my best friends have studied in Seville, Spain in the past year, and I don't think I can take seeing any more pictures or hearing any more stories. I need to go!

As you probably know I spent three weeks this past Spring in Europe, exploring the cities, seeing the sights and eating the food. I was amazed at how different the food and culture could change so dramatically in the seconds it took my train to cross the country borders. The food of Italy was as different from the food of Austria as I imagine it could possibly be.


I am very intrigued about Spanish food after hearing so much about the country from my two best friends. They told me of the wonderful tapas that were served at tapas bars and of the homemade comfort food their "host moms" served them every day at home.


When my first friend came back from Spain she helped me learn how to prepare the Spanish tortilla which I made and fell in love with!

My second friend just got back from Spain last Saturday night and before she even had time to get a good night's sleep her mother was hosting a Spanish themed Welcome Home Party! Every guest was asked to bring a Spanish Tapas to share and I was excited to find a recipe to bring.


I searched online for tapas recipes and decided on this red onion and orange salad. It seemed like the perfect tapas to serve on a hot July day.

The party was a hit and the food was great! My friend's mom made a to-die-for Paella and her dad kept everyone's glass full with Sangria. It was a wonderful party to honor my friend and the beautiful country of Spain!



Red Onion and Orange Salad
4 ripe medium oranges, peeled
1 small red onion, sliced fine
2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 tablespoons golden raisins, covered for 20 minutes in hot water, then drained
20 black olives, pitted
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons almonds, blanched and chopped fine
Springs of fresh mint, to garnish

Remove the white pith from the oranges and cut the fruit crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. Arrange on a serving platter and scatter over the sliced red onion.

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spoon this dressing over the onion and oranges.

Sprinkle with the raisins, olives, sunflower seeds, and almonds. Garnish with mint springs and serve chilled.

2 comments:

Ashley Seeley said...

This is an amazing ode to beautiful España! Thank you so much for bringing it to my party! It was so delicious... nobody could get enough!

Anonymous said...

Should I use balsamic raspberry vinegar or a lighter vinegar?