Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pomegranate Ginger Muffins


Lately I have been getting very excited because Christmas is fast approaching. Although I have been severely tempted I have resisted the urges to secretly listen to Christmas carols or start buying Christmas presents or decorations (OK, maybe I bought a few, but overall I have been very good!). 


If I had to choose a favorite holiday I would pick Christmas. Everything about Christmas makes me smile. Decorating the tree(s), baking special treats, making gingerbread houses, driving around for hours looking at Christmas lights, and of course remembering and reflecting on the true meaning of Christmas. 


So much of what I think of when I think of Christmas is food. For most families holidays are centered around food. Food is the biggest form of hospitality. Food is also something that is strongly connected to our memory. When I think of Christmas I can almost taste it. 


Hot chocolate. Candy canes. Gingerbread. Sugar cookies. Pumpkin pie. Ham. Spiced cider. Marshmallows. Peanut brittle. Mandarin oranges. Chocolate covered cherries. The list could go on and on. 




Another flavor that lets me know Christmas is coming is pomegranates. In the northern hemisphere they are usually available from September through February, but I think of them mostly in December. 


This recipe for pomegranate ginger muffins has been a favorite of mine for years.  It uses fresh pomegranate seeds and candied ginger to create a very flavorful and unexpected muffin. I just love them!


The best way to prep pomegranates is to break open the fruit in a bowl of cold water. Miraculously the seeds will sink to the bottom and all the other pieces will float to the top! Read here for more detailed instructions on how to do this.

Candied ginger is a fun product that is sweet and spicy at the same time. I usually find it in the bulk section.

I really hope you try this recipe and add it to your list of favorite holiday baked goods!


Pomegranate Ginger Muffins
  • 2  cups  all-purpose flour
  • About 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1  tablespoon  baking powder
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/3  cup  minced crystallized ginger
  • 1  teaspoon  grated lemon peel
  • 1 1/4  cups  pomegranate seeds (about 1 pomegranate)
  • 1  cup  milk
  • 1  large egg
  • About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) butter or margarine, melted and cooled
In a bowl, mix flour, 2/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in crystallized ginger, lemon peel, and pomegranate seeds. Make a well in the center.

In a measuring cup, blend milk, egg, and 1/4 cup butter. Pour liquid all at once into well. Stir just until batter is moistened; it will be lumpy.

Spoon batter into 12 (2 1/2-in.-wide) or 24 (1 3/4-in.-wide) buttered muffin cups, filling each almost to the rim. Sprinkle with 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar.

Bake in a 425° oven until lightly browned, about 16 minutes for large muffins, 13 minutes for small. Remove muffins from pan at once. Serve hot or set on a rack and serve warm or cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These muffins are AMAZING.
I just baked them (and snuck one pretty much as soon as they came out of the oven) for Thanksgiving, and they are so delicious!

Thank you for posting this!

The Fox Foodie said...

So glad you enjoyed them! Happy Holidays! :-)