Friday, December 31, 2010

Gingerbread Men and Women


OK, before you ask, yes I am aware of the fact that it is after Christmas. I had all the intentions in the world about blogging my gingerbread recipe prior to Christmas, but alas, that failed to happen.


I decided the saying "better late than never" applies to blogs too, and am posting this recipe in case anyone would like to bake New Years gingerbread men. And also because by next Christmas-time I will have probably lost track of the photos...


I suppose I should also take this time to explain myself. My last post was on November 10th. I completely agree that this in inexcusable behavior, and blogging once a week (or at LEAST every other week) is one of my New Years resolutions.




With all that said, I want to give you my favorite gingerbread recipe. It comes from my awesome culinary teacher (for whom I am the teaching assistant), and over the course of the last few weeks I have made dozens and dozens of these cookies for her for parties and catering events.



As if I wasn't gingerbread-ed out I decided to host my own party. A gingerbread men and women decorating party! It was a fun way to get together with my closest girlfriends before they all headed home for Christmas break.


After much debate I only made one batch of dough, which proved to make more than enough people for my friends to decorate and take home and for me to box up and give to people as gifts.


This recipe makes great cookies that hold up well but are also delicious (I love eating the dough!). Make sure you bake them long enough (until they start browning) or else they won't hold up well to the icing and might get too soft. This recipe is very large and will make more cookies than you can imagine. When rolling out the dough, I usually only take half out at once and leave the other half in the refrigerator so it stays cold until I am ready to use it. Happy Holidays!

 My selection of decorating materials for the party: royal icing, sprinkles, and sanding sugar.
 

Rolled Gingerbread Cookies
1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 tablespoons vinegar
5 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons soda
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 to 3 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves

Thoroughly cream shortening with sugar. Stir in egg, molasses and vinegar; beat well.

Stir together dry ingredients, stir into molasses mixture. Chill at least 3 hours.

On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut dough into desired shapes.

Bake at 375 degrees F for about 5-8 minutes. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet and cool on racks.

When cool decorate with icing (recipe links below), sprinkles, sanding sugar, and any decorations you choose! 

Makes 5 dozen 4-inch cookies.

***Go here to get the recipes for royal icing or for cookie icing (both dry hard and work very well).

No comments: