Monday, October 3, 2011

Lavender Lemon Shortbread Cookies


Hello! Yes, the muffin girl is still alive! I just had a busy month of moving related activities, but I am happy to report that I am all moved in to a lovely 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment with one of my best friends. The apartment complex is very nice, and I love our open kitchen floor plan. I can picture myself baking many wonderful treats there! (Not that I have done much of that yet...).


But I do have a treat that I made about a month ago that I would love to share with you. You may or may not know about my obsession with lavender, but if you do not, than all you need to know is I love eating lavender and experimenting with it in in cooking and baking.


When visiting the Oregon Lavender festival this year I was introduced to Lavender Lemon Shortbread. Oh my! And of course I instantly fell in love.




I mean whats not to love about shortbread, and then add something so fabulous as lavender, and something that pairs with lavender as well as lemon and you have a success!! I could eat these cookies every day for the rest of my life and be completely happy! (Well, if I somehow forget how much butter is in shortbread...)


I made this cookie when lavender was in the height of its season so I picked some fresh from my neighbors yard (with permission!) to use. But if you really scout around you can usually find it in dried form by the herbs or bulk in a specialty or high end food store all year round.


I really hope you try this recipe! And please let me know what you think!I want to know that I am not the only person in the world who is obsessed with culinary lavender...


Lavender Lemon Shortbread Cookies
Adapted from AllRecipes.com

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh lavender
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the lavender, mint and lemon zest. Combine the flour, cornstarch and salt; mix into the batter until well blended. Divide dough into two balls, wrap in plastic wrap and flatten to about 1inch thick. Refrigerate until firm, about 1hour. 

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Cookie stamps will work well on these too. Place on cookie sheets. 

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, just until cookies begin to brown at the edges. Cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments: