Thursday, October 28, 2010

Quick and Easy Pumpkin Cheesecake


I am about to share with you my favorite fall recipe of all time.

Get excited.

This pumpkin cheesecake is a modification of a recipe that has been in my family longer than I even have. My mom received the recipe for "company cheesecake" (don't ask me, I have no idea why it's called that) from a coworker about 30 years ago.

It was a recipe for plain cheesecake, but also had suggestions on how to spice it up, such as adding berries to the mixture.

It wasn't until about five years ago that I got the idea to use this recipe to make pumpkin cheesecake. I know, Brilliant, right? I love pumpkin, but don't love pumpkin pie. But I do love cheesecake. Thus, pumpkin cheesecake was born.


Every year the recipe is a little different as we can never seem to find where we wrote down the recipe the year before, but fortunately this cheesecake is very forgiving and you can add more or less or just about anything and it will state taste AMAZING.

Lucky for you, I made it my goal to finally decide on the perfect recipe once and for all. (Ok, maybe I did it more for myself, because now that's its on my blog I will always know where to find it!)

This cheesecake is probably the easiest dessert recipe you will ever find. All you do it add all the ingredients into a blender or food processor, mix, and pour into a crust. That's it! Well, you have to bake it too, of course. 





If you want to overachieve, like I usually do, you can make your own pumpkin puree by baking a "pie pumpkin" and then pureeing the meat (also called pulp). Substitute this in place of canned pumpkin in your cheesecake.

Another option is making your own crust instead of buying prepared graham cracker crusts. Put either graham crackers or ginger snaps (or a combination of both?) into a food processor, and mix to create fine crumbs. Then add enough melted butter to hold it together and pour into pie pan. Pat the mixture on the bottom and along the sides until it resembles a nice crust.

I hope you try this recipe and tell me what you think of it! Happy Halloween!


Pumpkin Cheesecake
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
  • 8 oz pumpkin puree (from scratch, or from a can)
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup sour cream 
  • Graham cracker crusts
Preheat  oven to 375 degrees F.

Put all ingredients except sour cream and crust into blender or food processor and blend for about a minute.

Add the sour cream and blend until mixed in thouroughly.

Pour cheesecake filling into crusts. This recipe makes enough for two regular size store-bought graham cracker crusts or about 1 extra large sized and 6 minis. (You can make your own crust if you prefer. See above for how to do this.)

Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the center is firm and no longer "wiggly".

Let cool on counter for 20 minutes and then stick in refrigerator for a least three hours, or until ready to serve.

Garnish with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon.

No comments: