Tuesday, March 30, 2010

City Market NW


Have you ever walked into a place and got the feeling "This place is so awesome, I just want to live here!"? Well I am foodie-freak and get that feeling about restaurants, bakeries, and food stores. The first time I recall ever strongly having that feeling was about two years ago when I first stepped into St Honore Bakery in Portland. Food is what inspires me and when I am around good food I simply don't want to leave. 


Another place where I have got that weird, "can I move in and just sleep next to the artichokes?" feeling was at City Market.  


City Market is a European style market located at 735 NW 21st Avenue in Portland. Instead of being a single business, it is actually a store that houses five separate businesses. The produce is supplied by Raw Raw Raw, who strives to sell only organic and local produce from as many as 20 local farmers. And let me tell you, their fruits and vegetables are gorgeous! 


Pastaworks supplies wine, cheese, salamis, and dry goods such as imported olive oils, vinegars, preserves and a great selection of sodas.  As one would assume by their name, Pastaworks also makes their own pasta as well as selling imported pastas. Their cheese selection is one of the best in Portland with good prices, and a great selection. They sell local cheeses as well as cheeses from France, Italy, Spain and the U.K. They are happy to give samples of any of their cheeses so don't be afraid to ask! 


 The meat counter at City Market is ran by Chop Butchery and Charcuterie. Their case is always stocked with locally sourced meats such as grass-fed beef, pork, poultry, duck confit, foie gras, quail, and housemade sausages. The staff takes pride in their meat and welcomes questions about how the animals were raised and what they were fed. Chop also makes sandwiches to order.


City Market devotes a large section of their store to seafood by Newman's Fish Company.  Newman's has been selling seafood in Oregon since 1890 and has a beautiful selection to choose from at City Market.
 
Lastly, City Market has a lovely display of flowers for sale provided by Quinn in the City Flowers.
City Market is open Mon - Sat 9:30am - 7pm, and Sun 10am - 7pm. 


Now the only question is, when can I pack my pink bags and move into City Market??



City Market NW on Urbanspoon

No comments: