Friday, April 2, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing


You wouldn't believe what I would do for a good picture. I used to be relatively shy, especially about taking pictures at awkward moments (which seems to be most of the time, unless you are a tourist). But since becoming a blogger I have become a lot more comfortable being that weird girl with the camera who is taking pictures of everything she--and her friends--eat. 


Example: I am at my favorite coffee shop in Salem, French Press with my friend Nicole. We come inside and order our coffee and food. It is at this time that I realize: "Oh no! I forgot my camera in the car." Now, this is completely unacceptable because I was hoping to write a blog review about my favorite coffee and crepe shop in the near future. Luckily, I had not parked far away, but when I turned to look outside I realized the weather had turned from sunny to a hailstorm in the minute it took me to order a bagel with cream cheese and a decaf white mocha (welcome to springtime in Oregon!).  


Most sane people would have stayed inside and waited out the hailstorm. But not me! Lucky for you, I am a devoted blogger, and a little hail (ok, it was a LOT of hail) was not going to get in the way of a good picture. I proceeded to dash outside in the hail and wind through the parking lot--and after almost getting hit by a car--made it to my car and my camera. 



Once I got back inside the cozy coffee shop I looked like a drowned rat. Not to mention a little insane. I just hoped that the cute barista didn't notice my crazy hair. But alas, I was carrying my camera, and finally got the great pictures!  Moral of the story: only truly devoted bloggers (aka. me!) will risk their lives and the welfare of their hair for a good picture.



This cupcake recipe is one of my favorite recipes! The combination of chocolate and peanut butter is probably my greatest weakness of all time, and these cupcakes are the perfect example of that. The cake itself is so chocolate-y that it resembles a brownie. And the frosting is simply divine! 

With a little more time these cupcakes could be even more attractive. I made them when I was at a friend's house so I didn't have my usual "cupcake kit" full of all the supplies I feel are essential in making cupcakes. But regardless, these cupcakes were still cute and tasted as good as ever!


Chocolate Cupcakes and Peanut Butter Icing

12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk, shaken, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
2 tablespoons brewed coffee
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup good cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and two sugars on high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Lower the speed to medium, add the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream and coffee. In another bowl, sift together the flour, coca, baking soda, and salt. On low speed, add the buttermilk mixture and the flour mixture alternatively in thirds to the mixer bowl, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. Mix only until blended. Fold the batter with a rubber spatula to be sure its completely blended.

Divide the batter among the cupcake pans (one rounded standard ice cream scoop per cup is the right amount). Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, remove from pans, and allow to cool completely before frosting.

Frost each cupcake with peanut butter icing and sprinkle with chopped peanuts, if desired.

For the icing: 
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup cream peanut butter (Ina uses skippy)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Place the confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until creamy, scraping down the bowl with rubber spatula as you work. Add the cream and beat on high speed until the mixture is light and smooth.

No comments: