Friday, April 16, 2010

Cacao, a Great Place to Eat and Drink...Chocolate

 

The day I discovered real drinking chocolate was a great day. The only other exposure I had had to it was a few sentences about it on the back of a tin of cocoa mix from Trader Joe's. The box explained how to make this "European delight." Of course I did not follow instructions and added too much milk, making it like any other hot chocolate. Nothing special. 


Cacao's large store on 13th avenue

But now I know what real drinking--or sipping--chocolate is. I stumbled across Cacao a few months back and was completely in awe! Cacao (pronounced Ka-Cow) is a chocolate boutique serving downtown Portland with two locations. When I say chocolate boutique, I mean the interior appears like it should be an upscale clothing boutique, except that it sells chocolate. The color-scheme and decor are cozy and inviting, beckoning me to sit down and stay a while. 


Cacao's Drinking Chocolate

Since this was my first real experience with drinking chocolate I had to do it right. And it had to try it all. Cocao offers three varieties of drinking chocolate: rivoli dark drinking chocolate, cinnamon infused drinking chocolate, and a special spicy dark drinking chocolate (infused with cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, and ginger). 


Now in case you aren't familiar with drinking chocolate, like me two months ago, let me try to describe it to you. Imagine you take the most delicious, creamy, and wonderful chocolate you can find. You carefully warm this chocolate over a low heat until it is all melted, smooth and creamy. Next you pour a very small dash of cream or whole milk into it. You put it into a very small cup and you drink it. That is how I imagine drinking chocolate is made. Essentially we are just drinking melted chocolate...what genius thought of THAT idea?!



At Cacao a small shot of drinking chocolate is $2, or I suggest trying a flight of all three varieties for $6. If you are very brave larger sizes of drinking chocolate can be purchased for $4, like the one above--which I am proud to say I finished every last delicious (yet rich) drop of.

If you want a slightly less rich option, Cacao also sells dreamy hot chocolate (slightly less chocolate-y) in the standard size for $4. Varieties include everyday hot chocolate with 65% Venezuelan chocolate, or dark hot chocolate with 72% arriba dark chocolate. They also serve a full range of espresso drinks, including a delightful white chocolate mocha!


A pack of specialty chocolate from around the world

Although their drinking chocolate is the main reason I have visited, Cacao also has a selection of artisan chocolates that is hard to beat this side of Europe. When speaking with a very knowledgeable employee (which I hear describes virtually all of their employees) I learned that their specialty chocolate sales is the main reason owners Jesse Manis and Aubrey Lindley opened Cacao a few years back. They wanted to provide an outlet for these small chocolate producers to sell their wonderful selection to the public. And what better place to do that than Portland? 



The employee also told me that they "want to be a place for people to come at night if they don't feel like going to a bar." Cacao stays open until 10PM on Friday and Saturday nights making it a great date spot. 

Cacao has two locations in downtown Portland. Their main location is at 414 SW 13th Avenue in Portland, between Burnside and Washington, 2 1/2 blocks West of Powell’s Bookstore. Their second, and much more petite location, is located in the Heathman Hotel on 712 SW Salmon St. 

Cacao is a place I have found myself going to again and again. I have impressed many friends with their luscious drinking chocolate and have made my father very happy with a Cacao gift card for his birthday! You simply must try it out! Don't know what to order? Try my favorite: the cinnamon infused drinking chocolate!


Cacao on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Ashley said...

You need to show me this place right AWAY

The Fox Foodie said...

Ok, let's go soon!