Friday, October 15, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup


This fall is like so many others, except at the same time it is so different. I went back to school as I have for the last seventeen years, the leaves are changing color as they always have, and the air has a delightful chill to it even with the sun out. But this may be the last fall I go back to school. The last fall I get to quickly walk to class at 8:30 am wishing I had worn more than a sweater with anticipation of afternoon warmth.


Although this fall marks many "ends" for me, it has also held some firsts too. It marks the first time I have my own apartment and therefore my own kitchen. It also marks the first time I have been solely responsible for my own meals. Before this year I was required to purchase a school meal plan which I did not take advantage of nearly as much as I paid for, and before that my mom did most of the cooking.

I have only been in this new cook-for-myself stage of life for one and half months now, but I have already had a total blast learning to menu plan and cook for one.
 

I have had the opportunity to try many new recipes and freeze a good portion of my efforts. I have had the opportunity to learn about food dehydration and ways to utilize leftovers. Believe it or not, cooking for one is way harder than it looks! 



Stirring in the cream

Almost no recipes are made for one person. And even when I think that I can eat some leftovers for a week and then freeze the rest I still seem to be throwing away food in the end. Just today for lunch I was making pad thai for myself (and a few more meals during the week). What I ended with was enough pad thai to feed about 12 people. I quickly had to invite a couple friends over for a spontaneous luncheon. 


This recipe for butternut squash soup has become one of my favorite fall soup recipes. It certainly does make enough food for more than one person, but it freezes beautifully. It is incredibly simple and the cost-per-serving has got to be less than $1 (perfect for a college student's budget). 

If you have never had squash soup (which is Australian in origin) you need to have a "first" too and try this light and creamy soup that I think would pair beautifully with almost any dish.



Butternut Squash Soup

1 butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into chunks
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
2 tablespoons butter
4 cups chicken stock
1 apple, peeled and quartered
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup heavy cream

In a large saucepan, saute onion and apple in butter. Add squash. Stir all remaining ingredients (except cream). Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender.

With blender or food processor puree soup until smooth. For a very smooth soup, you may force puree through sieve.

Stir in cream and heat gently (do not boil). If soup is too thick, add additional chicken stock. Garnish with chives and a dollop of sour cream. Serves 6.

No comments: