Friday, October 29, 2010

Pumpkin Bread


It's officially pumpkin week. Well not "officially", but I have decided that it is the week to celebrate everyone's favorite winter squash.

During the past seven days I have visited the pumpkin patch, carved pumpkins, made my own pumpkin puree, made pumpkin cheesecake and this pumpkin bread.

I didn't just start loving pumpkins recently. I was born in October, so from the start I was personally and deeply connected to pumpkins.

 Homemade pumpkin puree

I think the moment I fell in love with pumpkins was when I was a few weeks old and my parents stuck me in a hallowed out pumpkin for a photo. (Looking back it seems endearing, but when I did this to my puppy a few days ago my friends all looked at me like a was crazy...)

When I was seven years old I had my very own backyard pumpkin patch, as did my brother. He grew large pumpkins, some that got to be almost 50 pounds, and I grew the tiny ones. I have always loved tiny things.

The best thing about my patch in comparison to my brothers was that mine produced a far greater yield than his did. I had hundred of pumpkins by October.



With no idea of what to do with so many pumpkins I opened up a "pumpkin stand" in my driveway. It was similar to a lemonade stand except that it was freezing cold out and I was selling miniature pumpkins. Fifty cents each, or three for a dollar.


I think I probably only sold about 10 pumpkins that day. I was left with hundreds that I strategically placed all over my house.

Too bad those pumpkins weren't a little larger and good for baking, because I could have made hundred of loaves of pumpkin bread with it.


I hope you enjoy this recipe for pumpkin bread. It is simply delicious and one baked good that no person should miss out on this fall.

Pumpkin Bread
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup cooking oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 15-oz can pumpkin
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of two 9x5x3-inch, three 8x4x2-inch, or four 7 1/2-3 1/2-2-inch loaf pans; set aside. In an extra large mixing bowl beat sugar and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add eggs and beat well; set sugar mixture aside.

In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Alternately add flour mixture and the water to sugar mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Beat in pumpkin. Spoon batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 55 to 65 minute or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely on wire racks. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.

*Optional: add 3/4 cup raisins and 3/4 cup chopped walnuts into batter after pumpkin has been added.

No comments: